Publications by area
- Upper Canada Assize & Quarter Session Court Records
- Heir & Devisee
- Frontenac County
- Hastings County
- Kent County
- Lennox & Addington County
- Northumberland County
- Prince Edward County
- Eastern District
- Home District
- Johnstown District
- Midland District
- Newcastle District
- Niagara District
- Eastern Townships (Quebec)
Reconstructing the Midland District Marriage Register
All of us sooner or later hit THE roadblock: that missing Midland District marriage register. We can't be sure when it started to be kept, but it could go back even into the 18th century. And we know that marriages would have continued to have been recorded in it until around 1858. Some of the marriages are available to us in the records of the Rev. John McDowall, and other early ministers. Many of us have bits and pieces of it, in family documents, and publications of such items as newspaper notices.
So, I'm proposing that we try to recreate that missing marriage register. If you know of a marriage that most likely would have been in it, and you can back it up with some sort of documentation, please contact me and I will enter it, along with your name and the source, into this page.
The original register would unfortunately not have had the parents of the bride or groom listed, if it followed the same lines as the other district marriage registers that have survived. So, not only do we have a chance to recreate the register, but we can even improve on it!
I will get the ball rolling with a marriage from my own family:
Alexander Babcock, parents unknown, married Wealthy Ann Oliver, daughter of Aaron Oliver and Esther Price, on November 21, 1858. My source is "Genealogy of the Price Family", published in 1917 by A.M. Price, Cleveland.
Here are some updates courtesy of Robert Harvey:
1) Margaret Gerolamy, daughter of James Gerolamy, married George McGuire around 1812-1813 (source: U.C. Petition of Margaret McGuire)
2) Ann Gerolamy, daughter of James Gerolamy, married William Ashley around 1811 (source: U.C. Petition of Ann Ashley)
3) James Gerolamy Jr., son of James Gerolamy, married Margaret Hennessy around 1827 (based on birthdate of daughter Isabella)
And a contribution from Lew Harpelle:
1) George Harper/Harpell married Eve Milsborough/Millsback, February 10, 1788, by Rev. John Stuart (sources: 1909 newspaper article; U.C. Petition of Harper/Millsback)